Panzer IV Medium tank
Overlord Museum, Colleville-sur-Mer
Location and info
Overlord Museum, 60 Rue des Chemins de la Liberte, 14710 Colleville-sur-Mer
Near to the entrance to American Normandy Cemetery and behind Omaha Beach, you can't miss the Overlord Museum and its vehicles on the roundabout on the D514 road west of Colleville.
The Panzer IV, a medium tank widely deployed in German tank divisions, was renowned for its reliability and range.
A total of 3,774 were produced between 1943 and 44 and was deployed on all fronts, especially in Normandy. However, by 1944 the Panzer IV was underpowered and inadequately armoured in comparison with Allied tanks.
This version is the Ausf H which was common in Normandy as output started in 1943. It was armed with a KwK 40 L/48 7.5cm cannon - a highly effective weapon - and two 7.92 mm MG34 machine guns.
Around 750 Panzer IV tanks were present in Normandy in mid-June 1944 and nearly 900 of them were active in the Battle of Normandy.
This tank is one of the many remarkable vehicles on display inside the Overlord Museum at Colleville-sur-Mer, near Omaha Beach in Normandy.