Small resistance nest to the west of Sword Beach landing area
Wn26 site overview
What to see
Little remains of the Wn26 complex which was one of the sites bypassed by British troops landing and moving inland from the Sword Beach area on D-Day.
The Widerstandsnest once featured five machine gun positions – one central and two each at either flank – along with a section of anti-tank wall, a Bf69 Mortar Tobruk, and a type 1694 Ringstand for a 5cm KwK anti-tank gun.
Today only one machine gun stand remains – a brick, block, and concrete mishmash building which stands on top of one of the lower sections of an extremely high sea wall which runs along the beachfront. This was one of the two MG stands east of the central position.
A memorial to the British troops who landed on Sword beach now occupies the site where the mortar Tobruk was once located and a sailing school stands in the place where trenches, barbed wire, while the Ringstand site is now a lifeguard station.