Wn12 'Daimler' Ouistreham
Inland batterie covering Ouistreham and port entrance
Wn12 site overview
What to see
There are numerous German strongpoints positioned around the Ouistreham and Colleville area which were objectives for British soldiers landing on Sword beach on D-Day June 6, 1944.
Three of the larger gun sites earmarked for attack were named after makes of cars – Wn12 ‘Daimler’, Wn16 ‘Morris’ and Wn17 ‘Hillman’. Wn12 and Wn16 both featured R669 type gun bunkers while Wn17 Hillman – just south of what is now called Colleville-Montgomery – was the site of the regimental HQs plus a series of defensive structures and trenches built into the hillside overlooking the area.
Four R669 casemates were planned at Wn12 for the 155mm captured French guns due to be sited here but by D-Day June 6, 1944 only three were built and the foundations of the fourth were still under construction. There was also a large R610 type HQ bunker, two R621 double group shelters for personnel, ammunition storage bunkers, and a ring of defensive Tobruks.
Access to the site is difficult as the two central gun casemates are on private land with the western R669 now completely overgrown and inaccessible in dense vegetation, although small sections of concrete are still visible.