Orglandes German Cemetery
Location and info
This military cemetery for war dead from the Second World War was developed by the Volksbund between 1958 and 1961 on behalf of the German government. The Volksbund has to rely on donations and contributions for the maintenance and care of the site. In international youth camps, young Europeans help to care for the site whilst at the same time building bridges of understanding.
After the Allied landing on 6th June 1944 in Normandy, the German and American soldiers killed in the fighting as the American troops advanced in the direction of Cherbourg were buried in the small village of Orglandes.
After 1945, the American burial service transferred the American dead to Colleville-sur-Mer.
The German burial field remained here with 7,358 war dead. Afterwards, the French burial service transferred other German war dead to this cemetery, having previously been buried in field graves and smaller sites.
More than 10,150 dead have now been given their final resting place here.