First house to be liberated at Canadian landing beach area
Wn28 site overview
What to see
Wn28 is a small Widerstandsnest at the eastern side of the Juno Beach D-Day landing area on the beach front of the town of Bernieres-sur-Mer. It was attacked by Canadian forces from The Queen's Own Rifles and Regiment de Chaudiere on June 6 and is thought that the house behind the beach - now known as 'Canada House' was the first building captured by the Allies.
Little remains of the strongpoint built here, but what does is well worth a visit - a type 1694 Ringstand and three Ic116 type Tobruks, although one has been cut in half to make way for the promenade.
This ringstand benefits from the addition of a concrete roof to protect the 5cm KwK anti-tank gun inside from air attack.
Protected from troops and vehicles landing on the beach by a thick concrete wall, this gun could swivel through 180 degrees to fire along the beach in both directions, as well as inland too, covering the main roads around the beach area in the town.
There are several memorials to the Canadian infantry soldiers who landed here just after 7am on D-Day.